Scheduling Open
3010 LBJ Freeway, Suite 1200
Dallas, Texas 75234

How to Get Bank, Financial, and Mortgage Information after Someone Dies

After someone dies, their bank accounts, financial assets, and mortgage information do not automatically go to the next of kin. In Texas, the process for getting this information is not as straightforward as one might think. In this blog post, we will explore how to get bank, financial, and mortgage information in Texas after someone has died. We will also provide some tips for what to do with this information once you have it.

How to get bank information

When someone dies, their bank information can be used to help close out their financial affairs.

Texas Estates Code § 153.003 provides a means for interested persons to get access to the decedent’s bank information. The term “interested person” means an heir, spouse, creditor, or another person with a property right in or claim against a decedent’s estate.

Here’s how to get bank, financial, and mortgage information in Texas:

  1. Get a copy of the death certificate. You’ll need this to close out the deceased person’s bank accounts and transfer any assets to their beneficiaries.
  2. Contact the deceased person’s bank or banks and ask for their account statements. You may be able to get these statements online or by visiting a branch in person.
  3. If the deceased person had a mortgage, contact their lender and ask for a pay-off statement. This will show you how much is owed on the mortgage and will help you determine if there are any assets that can be used to pay off the debt.
  4. Once you have all of the necessary information, you can begin closing out the deceased person’s accounts and transferring any assets to their beneficiaries.

How to get financial information

When someone dies, their bank accounts, mortgages, and other financial information may become inaccessible to loved ones. If you are in Texas and need to get information about someone’s finances after they have died, there are a few options available to you.

You can request copies of bank statements, mortgage documents, and other financial information from the deceased person’s bank or financial institution. Often, these institutions will require a death certificate or other proof of death before they will release any information.

You can also contact the county clerk’s office in the county where the deceased person lived. The clerk’s office may have records of the deceased person’s financial transactions, including tax records and property deeds.

If you are the executor of the deceased person’s estate, you may have access to their financial information through probate court proceedings. Probate is the legal process by which a person’s assets are divided after their death, and executors are responsible for managing the deceased person’s affairs during this process. Financial information may be included in probate court documents filed with the court.

Getting access to a deceased person’s financial information can be difficult, but it is possible with some persistence and patience. By contacting the deceased person’s bank or financial institution, county clerk’s office, or by going through probate proceedings if you are the executor of their estate, you should be able to get the information you need.

How to get mortgage information

If you are the executor or administrator of an estate, you may request mortgage information from the lender.

You can also contact the Texas Department of Banking for help in obtaining mortgage information.
If you are unable to obtain mortgage information from either the lender or the Texas Department of Banking, you can contact a title company or an attorney for assistance.

Finally, you may also contact the Comptroller’s office for help in obtaining mortgage information.
Other Financial Information You May Need

If the deceased was a veteran, you may need their DD-214 form to access benefits. If they were receiving Social Security benefits, you’ll need to notify the Social Security Administration of their death. You may also need to file a final tax return and/or apply for a tax ID number for their estate.

Other financial information you may need includes:

  • The deceased person’s date of birth
  • Their Social Security number
  • Bank account numbers and passwords
  • Mortgage information
  • Investment account information
  • Insurance policy information

How to contact the Texas Comptroller’s office

If you need to obtain bank, financial, or mortgage information in Texas after someone has died, you should contact the Texas Comptroller’s office. The Comptroller’s office can help you get copies of records that may be needed to settle the estate.

To contact the Comptroller’s office, you can call 512-463-4600 or 1-800-531-5441 (toll free), Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Central Time. You can also email the Comptroller’s office at:

Texas’s Unclaimed Property Program

The Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts’ Unclaimed Property Program returns money to the rightful owners of unclaimed property. This includes things like forgotten bank accounts, uncashed payroll checks, utility deposits, and safe deposit box contents.

To claim property, the owner or heir must fill out a claim form and provide proof of ownership. The Comptroller’s office will then review the claim and determine if the claimant is eligible to receive the property.

If you have questions about the program or need help claiming property, you can contact the Unclaimed Property Division at 800-321-2274 or visit their website for more information.


If you are the executor of an estate in Texas, one of your responsibilities is to settle any outstanding debts. This includes getting information from banks, financial institutions, and mortgage companies. The process can be complicated, but this article walks you through the steps you need to take. With a little planning and research, you can get the information you need to close out your loved one’s estate.

Do you need an Experienced Probate Attorney to help?

When a loved one dies, it can be difficult to know what financial steps to take next. One of the first things you may need to do is request bank, financial, and mortgage information from the deceased person’s lenders.

You may be able to get this information by contacting the lender directly or by using a third-party service. If you’re not sure how to get started, an experienced probate attorney can help.

Your attorney can help you identify which documents you need and guide you through the process of requesting them. They can also offer advice on what to do with the information once you have it.

If your loved one died without a will, an experienced probate attorney can also help you navigate the intestacy process. Intestate succession laws in Texas determine how a person’s property is distributed if they die without a will. An experienced probate attorney can help make sure that your loved one’s assets are distributed according to their wishes. Call us today for a FREE attorney consultation. (469) 895-4333.

Immediate DownloadFREE Access to Our Texas Probate Guide

Don't miss out, get a copy today!